As we walked down to the sandy beach I could taste the cold wind on my tongue. I could see the bones and the black feathers of the dead mutton birds. I could feel the cold salty water in my shoe as I stepped into the freezing cold water of the rock pool. I could smell the freshness of the air. I could see all the sea life in the rock pool it was like little homes for them.
|Parts of Speech||Function||Example Words||Example Sentence|
|Nouns||Person, Place or thing||Cat, Australia, George||George got a cat in Australia.|
|Pronouns||Person or time||He, then, everyone||Everyone had to get there at 5:00|
|Verbs||Doing word||Running, Swimming, Flying||He was running really fast.|
|Adjectives||Describing words||Dusty, Clean, shiny||The house is very shiny and clean.|
|Adverbs||Change words||Early, soon, carefully||You have to grab it carefully.|
|Prepositions||Joining words||Guest room, Into||Go into the Guest room|
|Interjections||Words with comma or exclamations at the end of them.||Oh! , Ouch! ,What,||Ouch! That hurt|
|Conjunctions||Joining words||A, but, so||So what should we do now?|
Exercise 1: Nouns
Copy these sentences into your notebook and then underline all the nouns you can find.
1. The dog chased the cat under the porch.
2. Muffins made with blueberries are delicious.
3. My daughter sold her computer to a friend.
4. Robert drove his car to Saint John and shopped for a new truck.
5. So much snow covered the roads, that even truck drivers pulled into motels.
6. The passengers on the ship witnessed the collision with the iceberg.
7. The Titanic sank in a few hours; many husbands and wives were separated.
8. Penguins live near the South Pole, but these birds aren’t bothered by the cold.
9. Many retired couples move to Florida where the weather is warmer.
10. Shediac is closer to the Confederation Bridge than Riverview is.